December 29, 2008

Nichole's List

Hi, I'm Nichole. This is my first book challenge, which I'm doing because Jenn invited me. 

I'm only going to do the Minor challenge since last semester of school left me with practically zilch in the time for leisure reading department (AGH!), and I'm not positive of what the next semesters of school will hold!

My library suddenly sprouted a small Graphic Novel section some months back (probably the new library director!), but it's very random. I picked up Sandman: Endless Nights because of it being Neil Gaiman, and I quite liked it. The middle-of-the-series collection of Sandman they had didn't interest me much though... there's a big difference in style between the two,and Gaiman's writing probably improved by Endless Nights. I've looked at a few others there, but since I can't recall anything specific, I guess they weren't noteworthy.

Here's my planned list:
1. The Complete Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
2. Clumsy - Jeffrey Brown
3. Blankets - Craig Thompson
4. The Plain Janes - Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg
5. Fox Bunny Funny - Andy Hartzell
6. Abe: Wrong for All the Right Reasons - Glenn Dakin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandman the series is best read in order, IMO, and each artist for the storylines was chosen to complement the particular story, so I recommend giving it another try. Start with Preludes and Nocturnes, and be sure to read through issue 8, "The Sound of her Wings" After that, with The Doll's House, I think you'll be hooked.

Anonymous said...

I just put Blankets on hold at my library, and it's not even on my challenge list. :)

Beth F said...

More books to check into! Thanks.

Jenn said...

Yay Nic :)

Carrie, Blankets is fantastic! It was the second graphic novel I ever read, after Persepolis, and it still calls out to me regularly from the shelf where it lives.

Olga said...

Blankets is great! The Plain Janes wasn't too interesting, in my opinion, but several people here have commented that they loved it. Good luck with the challenge! :)