February 15, 2009

Catching Up

I'm so behind on posting my reviews here. I've already read 8 books for the challenge, but I only posted about the first. So I thought I'd catch up by telling you about the other 7 briefly and linking to my full reviews.

The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot is a gorgeous book in every sense of the word. It's a story about a girl who survives her father's sexual abuse, and it has the most gorgeous artwork you can imagine. This is my second book by Talbot (the first was Alice in Sunderland, which I also very much recommend), and so far I'm very impressed with his work.

Then I read lots and lots of Fables. Books 7, 8 and 9 and then 10 and 11. Most of you have probably heard of this series, about fairy tale characters living in our world, so I won't go on for long. I'll just say that it keeps getting better and better.

Finally, We Are on Our Own by Miriam Katin is a WW2 memoir. The protagonist survived the Holocaust when she was a very young girl by escaping Budapest in disguise along with her mother. The book is also gorgeously illustrated, using black and white pencil drawings for the war scenes and colour for before and after. It's a survival story, but it's of course still very sad at times. I highly recommend it.

No comments: