April 15, 2009

American Born Chinese- Gene Luen Yang

This is the first graphic novel I've read for this challenge.  This review was first posted in my blog YA Lit The Good The Bad The Ugly.



Shop Indie Bookstores


American Born Chinese might be my favorite book of 2009.  It was so much FUN to read.  I laughed out loud several times, from the dialogue and the illustrations.  Written in the format of a graphic novel it follows three story lines that come together at the end.  It took me a minute to figure out the connection at the end, but it worked.  Though I'm not an immigrant or the child of immigrants, I have several friends who are- and the references to what life is like in a new country seem to be spot on.  There is nothing preachy in the story- but it does touch on the issues of racism, fitting in, crushes, and general teenage angst.  I am definitely going to be buying a copy of this book to keep in my future classroom.  This book would be appropriate for middle and high school students.  I'd be interested to hear if other people love it as much as I did!


Awards:

2007 Printz Award Winner
National Book Award finalist
American Library Association best Book for Young Adults, Top Ten List
Publisher's Weekly Best Book of the Year
School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
Booklist Editors' Choice Book
San Francisco Chronicle Best Book of the Year
NPR Holiday Pick
amazon.com Best Graphic Novel/Comic of the Year 


No comments: