April 5, 2009

Embroideries - Marjane Satrapi

I read Persepolis last year for my first Graphic Novel challenge and really enjoyed it. The art was completely different from what I had seen at that point and the story was great. So when I found out about this one, I immediately grabbed it.

Embroideries was funny, it takes place in an evening, an after dinner discussion over tea among the women. Mostly it’s a discussion of their relationships with men, or those of friends whose stories they are retelling. Many of them involve virginity, Western vs. Eastern views, divorces, arranged marriages and how they live their own lives or bend the rules that the men in their lives try to impose. There’s a lot of funny stuff and some sad stories and I laughed out loud when I realized what embroideries means.

No comments: